One week home from my honeymoon, I departed for my third annual international siblings trip. This year, Nathan joined Sean and me. Our game plan was to fly into Barcelona, drive through Spain into Portugal. Then down the coast back into Spain ending in Madrid. From there, a flight to Marrakesh, Morocco. Sean and I accomplished 2 previous road trips, Ireland, followed by Netherlands/ Belgium/ Germany. I underestimated the distance to cover Spain. IT’S HUGE! In Ireland we were able to see many sites in just a brief time. However, sites in Spain were 3-10 hours apart. We attempted to experience what we could but felt there was so much more we didn’t see.
In Barcelona, we were excited to see Sagrada Familia. Construction of this basilica began in 1882 but completion isn’t expected until 2030. Our hotel was next door with a gorgeous view from their rooftop bar.
For Barcelona recommendations (including some amazing food spots from culinary expert Nathan) scroll to bottom.
From Barcelona to Portugal, we viewed beautiful sunflower fields.
Food suggestions in Barcelona
(Spain has amazing Tapas… be adventurous. We tried french fries with egg and ham on top. SO TASTY !)
- El Canal (Wine + Tapas)
- Disfrutar (Fine Dining)
- Els Sortidors del Parlament (Bar + Tapas)
- Mercat de Sant Josep, aka La Boqueria (Open air market- lots of food to try)
- Zona d’Ombra (Wine + Tapas located in the Gothic Quarter)
- Bodega La Puntual
- Pastisseria Bubó Born (Dessert)
- Pastisseria Hofmann (pastry)
- ElDiset (Wine + Tapas)
- Paradiso (speakeasy)
- Baluard Barceloneta (bakery)
- Federal Café (brunch)
- Nømad Coffee Lab & Shop
- Horchatería Sirven (Ice Cream)
Sites in Barcelona
- La Boqueria Market
- Sagrada Familia
- Park Güell
- Casa Milà
- Barcelona Cathedral
- Gothic Quarter
- Casa Batllo
- Temple of Sacred Hearts
- Montjuic (beautifully landscaped area famous for its hills, gardens, museums, and castle)